Services provided to a person who requires daily staff support for challenging behaviors, medical needs, physical needs and/or life skills.
For people younger than age 18, SLS is provided to children who live outside of the biological or adoptive home.
Assistance to develop, maintain or improve skills related to ADLs may include:
- Household chores (e.g., bed-making, washing dishes, laundry)
- Eating and food preparation
- Personal hygiene and cleanliness
- Social and adaptive skills necessary to help the person live in the community.
Increasing and maintaining the person’s physical, intellectual, emotional and social functioning may include:
- Self care
- Communication skills
- Community participation and mobility
- Health care, leisure and recreation
- Household management
- Interpersonal skills
- Money management
- Increase of positive behavior and reduction or elimination of challenging behavior
- Sensory and motor development
Residential habilitation does not cover:
- Routine care and supervision expected to be provided by a family member or spouse
- Activities or supervision funded by a source other than Medical Assistance
- Duplication of services paid by other sources when a person is living in foster care or community residential settings (e.g., chore services, homemaker, PCA services
- Respite for people living in corporate foster care or community residential settings
- Items of comfort or convenience
- Room and board
- The Housing Support Rate (formerly GRH) for people in foster care or community residential settings
- Cost of vehicle and facility maintenance (e.g., upkeep and improvements)
- Modifications or adaptations to the setting in which the person resides (this may be covered under environmental accessibility adaptations
- Payment when the person is absent for a full day (see the “billing and absences from a residential setting for BI, CAC, CADI and DD” section on MHCP Provider Manual – Billing for waiver and AC program
- Payments made directly or indirectly to the person, parent or stepparent of a minor, spouse, professional guardian or conservator (see CBSM – Paying relatives and legally responsible individuals).