Homemaker Services

Services that help a person manage general cleaning and household activities. 

There are three homemaker services:

  • Homemaker/cleaning
  • Homemaker/home management
  • Homemaker/assistance with activities of daily living (ADLs).

The person may receive homemaker services when either:

  • The person is unable to manage the general cleaning and household activities
  • The primary caregiver who is regularly responsible for these activities is unable to maintain them or is temporarily absent

A person can receive any of the three types of homemaker services (cleaning, home management or assistance with activities of daily living [ADLs]).

All homemaker providers may monitor the person’s wellbeing while in the home, including home safety.


Homemaker/cleaning services include light housekeeping tasks. Homemaker/cleaning providers deliver home cleaning and laundry services.

Home management

Homemaker/home management providers deliver home cleaning services and, while on site, assist with home management activities as needed. Home management activities may include assistance with:

  • Arranging for transportation
  • Laundry
  • Meal preparation
  • Shopping for food, clothing and household supplies
  • Simple household repairs.

Assistance with ADLs

Homemaker/assistance with ADLs providers deliver cleaning services and, while on site, assist with ADLs as needed. Assistance with ADLs includes support with the following:

  • Ambulating
  • Bathing
  • Dressing
  • Eating
  • Grooming
  • Toileting

A person cannot receive homemaker services if any of the following are true:

  • He or she lives in a licensed setting (e.g., foster care or supervised living facility)
  • He or she receives adult or child foster care, customized living, 24-hour customized living
  • Homemaker services duplicate other Minnesota state plan or waiver services he or she already receives (e.g., chore, transitional services or transitional services.

A person on the DD Waiver who lives with a primary caregiver may choose to have his or her habilitation needs to be met by an unpaid caregiver instead of with residential habilitation services. When the person receives habilitation from an unpaid caregiver, the lead agency must also authorize either homemaker or respite services on the person’s service agreement. The person’s assessment must support the need for respite or homemaker services to free up the caregiver to provide habilitation.