Non-medical care, supervision and socialization provided to a person age 18 or older.
Adult companion services cover services that help a person work toward a therapeutic or community integration goal in his/her support plan.
The adult companion may:
- Attend a movie with the person to practice coping skills to manage his/her social anxiety
- Go with the person to a community event to reduce his/her social isolation
- Play a board game with the person to enhance his/her fine motor skills
- Provide verbal instructions or cues to the person to help him/her complete a task
- Assist or supervise the person with tasks such as laundry, light housekeeping, meal preparation, and shopping.
The adult companion may assist or supervise the person with tasks such as laundry, light housekeeping, meal preparation and shopping only while he/she helps the person work toward a therapeutic or community integration goal. For example, the companion may shop with the person to practice budgeting skills. The companion cannot perform these tasks as distinct services.
Adult companion services do not cover:
- Activity fees (e.g., movie tickets)
- Assistance with activities of daily living (ADLs)
- Hands-on nursing care
- Services provided by people related to the person by blood, marriage or adoption
- The socialization that is for recreation or pleasure only.